When you really think about it, file management in Windows hasn't really changed all that much since the olden days of Windows 3.1. But the way that we use our computers, coupled with the explosion in the number of files that we now store, has made dealing with file management an onerous, almost painful task! Thank goodness XYplorer is here to inject some balance, order, and fun to file management!
XYplorer is the last file manager you'll ever need to install! With XYplorer, you get multiple tabs to jump quickly between folders, a powerful search function, a preview feature that should have been part of Windows years ago, and a highly customizable and intuitive interface. Even better, XYplorer offers this to you in a very fast, very light application that doesn't require any installation or make any system or registry changes. Intrigued? Read on.
If you're a fan of tabbed browsing, you already know how to work the tabs in XYplorer! Click between folders, rename them, reposition them, and drag and drop files onto them -- a whole lot easier than using Windows Explorer, that's for sure. You can even create a tab dedicated to a search filter! The Dual Pane makes it easy to move and copy stuff between folders, plus there's Manual Sorting to enable you to view files exactly as you like. And when you quit XYplorer and come back later, your tab configurations are there waiting for you!
Combine this extraordinary functionality with intuitive Tree, List, and Mini-Tree views, and you're all set with XYplorer. The Mini-Tree contains a history of files and folders that you've actually used, so it's easy to jump to something you've been working on. Ever wanted to create a magic button to launch files in your app of choice? Custom Toolbar buttons makes that happen! You can color code your files, tag files, highlight and bold favorite folders, or use the Catalog function to combine folders and items from all over your hard drive, LAN, and the Internet under a single heading. There's even support for file names longer than 260 characters, an impossibility in Windows! Plus, aliases make typing long directory structures into the address bar a thing of the past!
The robust features just keep on coming with XYplorer! Imagine one-click previews of any of your media files, plus multiple (up to 100) level undo/redo for your file operations that persists from session to session. An advanced Recycle Bin that leaves your default Windows Bin in the dust! You can even enable queuing in XYplorer and stack file operation jobs without even waiting for the first few to finish, then continue working as your jobs complete in the background!
XYplorer also offers Select Special, which lets you modify selections in one pane based on items in the other pane, synchronous scrolling and sorting of both panes, the ability to bring back accidentally erased selections, item name editing, and a quick way to bump selected files up in the folder hierarchy!
ATTENTION PHOTOGRAPHERS!!! XYplorer includes a powerful Floating Preview feature. Essentially a new preview pane separate from the main window, Floating Preview supports Mouse Down Blow Up and the transparency grid for transparent images. It's one of the features customers have requested most!
Check out a sampling of what else is new in XYplorer v14.10:
- Click and Search: Tired of entering search patterns again and again? With this version XYplorer introduces a new search interface called "Click and Search", a collapsible and fully customizable list of your favorite search jobs. Even better: The jobs can be logically combined simply by ticking checkboxes.
- Tag Clouds: For tag-based file management Click and Search boils down to an interface you have already seen in the web: Tag Clouds! Tagging files is finally becoming useful.
- Column Layouts: Now you can export your details view column layouts to files, and later import them back into the list. That way you can very comfortably switch between context-specific column layouts. Of course, the layouts are portable and shareable.
- Ignore Articles When Sorting: Now this setting can be applied per tab or per folder, and you can assign a keyboard shortcut to it.
- Multilingual Support: Added support for Dutch.
- Audio Properties in Columns: XYplorer now features columns for Audio Sample Rate and Audio Bit Depth, and some other audio related properties, for example Audio Length with milliseconds precision.
- Shell Integration: Now you can show the 64-bit shell context menu instead of the 32-bit shell context menu. That way you can see and use your 64-bit shell extensions from XYplorer.
- Paste and Find: Now you can find, focus, and highlight files simply by pasting their name into the file list. Smart time saver.
- and much, much more!
Review Written by Derek Lee
The Fine Print